Monday 12 September 2016

Theme 1, Blog Post 2: Theory of Knowledge and Theory of Science


Reading Plato and Kant was my first “close encounter” with philosophy and as such it was a very difficult one. Even after the lecture things were not as clear as I had hoped, so before the seminar I once again turned to Martin Heidegger’s Phenomenological Interpretation of Kant's Critique of Pure Reason and also to Jonathan Bennett’s website earlymoderntexts.com. The readings for the second theme were very useful as well, because they helped me see the relevance of Kant’s work in a more “recent” (20th century) context.  

In our seminar group we talked about whether we can know the world as it is in itself or “detach” ourselves from who we are as individuals – from our race, gender, nationality, sexuality, upbringing, previous experiences, etc – and look at the world as objectively as humanly possible. I expressed the opinion that pondering what the world is in itself is pondering what it would be like if there were no living things to experience it, in which case there would be no one asking these questions. In other words, it's pointless.
I think we can only try to imagine how we would perceive the world if we were of the opposite sex, of a different race, nationality or sexuality, if we were brought up differently – these aspects of our identity may vary and, thus, our perception might vary with them, but they would nonetheless influence how we experience the world. I agree with Kant's argument that there is no knowledge of the world that is independent of our experience of it. The world is, in fact, what we experience it and different people do so differently, which I think is good, because each of us adds to, or picks up from, it a different nuance, making it more diverse and colorful.
We also discussed how constantly scrutinizing our perception might make us feel about ourselves and the world; that constantly critiquing and doubting our senses might make us miserable and unconfident, but, at the same time, if we never reflect on ourselves and question our perception, we cannot evolve and grow as individuals. In relation to that I remember a quote by Ernest Hemingway: “Happiness in intelligent people is the rarest thing I know.” In order to not be blissfully dumb or miserably intelligent, think we should always maintain a healthy dose of skepticism and doubt, but nevertheless live in the here and now. 
Having previously studied Journalism, in my own time I also thought about Kant’s work in relation to the consumption of media content. When I did my Bachelor’s degree, we talked about how social media (among others) allows us to choose the journalistic content we consume (for instance, we choose to follow, say, the Guardian or the Sun on Facebook). By “liking” certain Facebook pages (and not others), we allow the platform to form a “portfolio” (adequate or not) of our interests. It then starts to bombard us with “recommendations” of pages we might want to follow. 
Eventually, we might find ourselves surrounded by information that corresponds with, encourages, confirms and hardens our political, social, cultural, etc., views and interests. We create our own little world in which what we think is right, true and sufficient, and become deaf and blind for different and/or opposing views and for all the diversity in the world. This is potentially dangerous and, I think, leads to spiritual, social, cultural and intellectual stagnation. We should actively maintain an open mind, get our information from a variety of sources, be accepting of others' opinions and, as mentioned above, maintain a healthy dose of skepticism.   




  

9 comments:

  1. I found these post really interesting to read, and it made me think about thinks I hadn't considered. I liked the writing about "how we would perceive the world if we were of the opposite sex, of a different race, nationality or sexuality," and of course that would influence how we experience the world. You see different parts of a society depending on your role in it, if I was a man I would not know what if would be like to be a woman, and as I woman I can not know how if feels to be a man, etc. I cannot 100% understand other people's struggles, or feelings, I can understand and relate, but I can never 100% know what it feels like.

    I also liked the aspekt of social media and consumption of media content. I think it's very interesting to think about our today very selective consumption in a way. As the author writes, we choose the journalistic content we consume, and the pages we like of facebook, and the people we choose to follow. What will that result in eventually? When we only consume the information we choose, and we only see the world as we choose to see it, what will society look like? What will happen to democracy if people don't consume objective (as objective as possible after reading Kant and Plato) information about the world. A democracy is based on having an informed society, what happens when information is no longer available or consumed?

    I think that's incredibly interesting to think about, and when looking at the news media today, all the dramatical headlines, and all the focus on gaining "likes" or "shares" instead of having neutral and informative news, it affects our society and our politics and it will have a massive effect on our future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your reflection. I especially liked that you mentioned your previous experience in studying Journalism and the connection to this theme. You have pinpointed a true problem regarding how we consume media content in today’s modern society. I agree with you that we risk ending up in a “filter bubble” where all the surrounded information is provided to us through algorithms that is based on our own interests. And I think this will restrict our perceptions of truth since we don’t get to see the whole picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post is a very interesting read. I enjoyed how you pointed out that reading the second theme literature made you understand and appreciate Kant more. I feel the same way.
    Furthermore your mention of Hemmingway and the arguments that follow are very interesting. I quite have to agree with you that not questioning our views on the world is not really an option, but that we also mustn't become cynical pessimists. In order to so we sometimes have to remind ourselves of the - at least what we think - good outcomes that critical view has brought us, even if there is room for improvement.
    Last but not least you raise a very good point about our way of consuming media these days. Since I click on the 'like' button every time I see a caricature or comic I like, or when I read an interesting article, facebook decided for me, that it would be in my best interest, if I only see content from news-pages, caricature artists and so forth. Content of friends ( especially old ones, which would be the most interesting, as it would be a way of keeping in touch) is hardly ever displayed on my news feed. I highly agree that this cocooned informations we receive will be a danger and that it will not lead to the hatching of a beautiful butterfly, but something a lot more frightening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for a very interesting read!

    Your texts brought me to think about so called "filter bubbles". The way ones social media (and real life) becomes centered around already confirmed perceptions of the world, it only reproduces opinions and definitions of truth. What would happen with, say, my political opinion if not 80% of my friends voted for the same party as me?

    But how do we maintain an open mind if we do not know what we don't know? In another student's blog, I read about a will to minimize "the unknown unknowns". In order to leave a filter bubble, one would have to understand that he or she is in one to begin with. And how do w do that, if everything around us confirms- and corresponds with our world views?

    I really enjoyed your conclusion of a need to maintain "a healthy dose of skepticism". I am, just like you seem to be, afraid of the "spiritual, social, cultural and intellectual stagnation" that the world may face with the emergence of filter bubbles. But I hope for media technologies like e.g. Wikileaks to help break the trend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your thoughts on the positive effects of us being different was refreshing! I agree with you that the different nuances make the world a more diverse and colourful place. But if we don’t interact, then how will we get the advantages of us being different?

    Not only do we choose what kind of news sources we expose ourselves to, but my view is that we also are drawn to people that share our set of beliefs, resulting in us confirming rather than challenging these. This arises a question of which came first, the chicken or the egg? Are we drawn to people that share our sets of beliefs and lifestyle, or do we form each other into adaptation and thinking the same as we interact as an evolutionary strategy? This is a scenario were dialectic reasoning as a method could be used so that we are hindered to continue reproducing our opinions and perpetuating our view of our truth being the truest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey,
    very interesting thoughts here. You are following Kant's point of view on the matter. That no matter where we are, who we are, we can never be impartial because of our background, unique from each other. And I agree that this is what makes the world a colourfull place to live in.

    I disagree however on the sadness part of us doubting our sense, as you said, it makes a grow. Human being are perfectionnist, if we do not reflect on ourselves with those brains we have we will never progress, evolve. And if we don't, we just die. Movement is what makes us, us !

    And very good point about us closing the world upon our only point of view. I'm going to like random things in facebook to open my mind to things I might or might not know. You oppenned up a very intriguing point !

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed the way you described us objectively looking at the world as “detaching” ourselves from who we are as individuals. I also discussed this in my post and like you, came to the conclusion that it is pointless to try to experience the world through raw sense data. We could not be certain of any information if we did not have previous knowledge to build upon.

    I especially liked your idea that social media is pigeonholing the content we are exposed to so that our perceptions are stifled and do not evolve. This is a good segue into our texts from theme two. These texts discussed how in the mid-century, media and technology had caused society to accept an oppressive, proletariat culture. Now, over a half century later, new technologies have found new ways to harden our political ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed the way you described us objectively looking at the world as “detaching” ourselves from who we are as individuals. I also discussed this in my post and like you, came to the conclusion that it is pointless to try to experience the world through raw sense data. We could not be certain of any information if we did not have previous knowledge to build upon.

    I especially liked your idea that social media is pigeonholing the content we are exposed to so that our perceptions are stifled and do not evolve. This is a good segue into our texts from theme two. These texts discussed how in the mid-century, media and technology had caused society to accept an oppressive, proletariat culture. Now, over a half century later, new technologies have found new ways to harden our political ideas.

    ReplyDelete